Thursday, April 23, 2009

Social Okainess

There is a growing trend in the online connected community: Cyberbullying.



Ok, ok I am not referring to that. However, I am referring to the constant life altering announcements made through blogs, myspace, and facebook. Mormons are most guilty of this. Everything is a big deal to them. Once again, I am not talking about facebook status messages like, "Kevin is getting his Eagle award" or "Stephanie is teaching her first enrichment lesson" or (my personal favorite) "Stacy is bummed for her 7:00 am service council meeting. :'(" I am talking about making a public announcement about something BIG before actually using your vocal chords to tell people. Yes people, I am talking about your pregnancies, your engagements, your deaths, your life-altering events. What I am trying to say is this, you are using the same tactic as Cyberbullying to announce things that should be told in person. Come on, are we THAT lazy that we can't write a letter to our friends or send out a normal, non electronic invite to Nephew Harold's bah mitzvah? Let me ask everyone to do something, think about life before facebook. I know, it was hard for you to imagine that social aloneness for too long. I fought a battle with a small bout of depression when I contemplated life with out social connection utilities. So, cyber friends, do me a solid and make a conservative effort to announce things the traditional way before announcing it to the World Wide Web.

Oh, a quick side note, looks like my pretend grandmother from the Hamptons is actually real. I found out through my mother's facebook status.

No comments:

Post a Comment