Friday, March 26, 2010

"My name is Jayne, and I'm from....."

Every time someone asks me where I'm from, I will say one place, and then quickly follow it up with another place. Which is then followed up by an explanation of why I can't make up my mind. I was born in Taipei, Taiwan and I moved to Utah with my parents when I was 7 years old. With my background, it's always been difficult for me to decide on "where I'm from". Some people make it easy on me by asking, "What's your ethnicity?" But I would never expect everyone I meet to be so "politically correct." I'm not offended in any way when people ask me where I'm from. I'm delighted that people are interested in me. At least for that first 5 minutes until they find out that other than my ethnicity, there's really nothing all that special about me. I've tried ever since I've arrive on the shore of America to defy all Asian stereotypes. You know the ones I'm talking about.

1.Incredible intelligence
2. Always dedicated....to school work.
3.Terrible Driver.
4. Fresh Off the Boat (FOB) dress standards.

Ok, fine. I've only manged to defy three of those. I think I'm an excellent driver. But Spencer will tell you that I'm only mediocre. And only on my good days. I do still keep in touch with my Asian roots though. And I also support the seemingly quirky things that Asians (including myself) constantly do. However, there are certain things that I cannot abide with. One of these being OBNOXIOUSLY decorated stationary. I recently received a letter from a Korean friend on a mission. She sent me three pages of stationary with 75 % of the page with little animals and flowers. She squeezed some writing onto the bottom left corner where there were 4 lines for words. Had she just used a regular piece of paper, she would have been able to just use one page. Obviously my people do not believe in saving trees.

You can't deny that sometimes they are pretty cute though.

No comments:

Post a Comment