Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Feeling the spirit

I hope no one is offended by this post. Please know that any offense is unintentional.

I had my D&C class today. It's really not my favorite. I've been pretty fortunate this semester with how much I've been enjoying my classes. But I guess it was too much to hope for all of them to be great. I'll admit. In that class, I'm not the most attentive student. I'll play the occasional games on my phone, and have texting conversations with a few friends. But while doing these things, I'm always listening intently to whatever the professor is saying. Sometimes even pausing Bejeweled to write down some spiritual notes.

Today, while I was in the middle of a solitaire winning streak, I heard my professor say,

"now, I bet you guys are all wondering how I have all this wisdom and knowledge about the gospel. Well. You guys can have it too; if you will pray."

I don't know if it's the stress that I've been under this week. But I could not hold back what was the LOUDEST snort I have ever produced in my 22 years. I felt bad as soon as I let it out. But that feeling of shame immediately passed when the girl in front of me turned around and gave me the biggest crusty her average looking face was capable of giving. So, in return. I grinned at her. I think this was the first time anyone's ever turned away from me in a huff.

Dear Uptight (it says a lot when I call someone uptight) girl in D&C class,
I'm sorry if my snort took away the spirit you were undoubtedly feeling in that freezing classroom which smelled like ham sandwiches. From now on I'll stick to my usual silent eye roll. But thank you for making D&C more eventful today.

Jayne

2 comments:

  1. Um, ew! Your teacher actually SAID that...and she had the audacity to give you a crusty? Wow...

    ReplyDelete